Sunday 26 February 2012

If I wasn't lying down I could sing "I'm still standing"!

I have just participated in and pretty much successfully survived a three day university workshop.  I'd like to say I blitzed this weekend but in truth I was severely challenged by the physical demands.  Even now I am slightly exaggerating because the weekend comprised a three hour session on Friday night and then two seven hour sessions on Saturday and Sunday.  Part of the difficulty for me was that with ferry, and car, trips each way a seven hour day becomes a ten hour day and all I can do when I get home is lie down and whine and thank Herbert that TLOML is here to make sure my collapse doesn't cause me to starve or rot.

The workshop was a real trial.  It's expensive for one thing - catching the ferry and then paying to borrow a car on the mainland.  It's draining and physically taxing.  The chairs are not very comfortable and they don't face directly forward so I have to turn my head.  Accessibility services offered me the use of a more fully adjustable chair but I didn't want to make a fuss so I refused.  As I am doing all this again the weekend after next I might have to rethink that position...  As regards the content of the course there were moments when I felt like I was reading/listening to a completely alien language, I seriously started to wonder if perhaps I had totally lost my ability to assimilate and understand new information.  But somehow the understanding swam to the top and forced its way through the pond slime of my awareness.  It seems I have not allowed my brain to vegetate completely.  I can't speak so encouragingly about the body...

I'm quite concerned that I might not be able to manage all these workshops.  I have three of the next five weekends committed to workshops if I proceed with the program in which I am currently enrolled.  I'm tempted to convert one of the subjects to an external subject so that I don't have to attend.  The trouble with this is that I actually learn very well in a classroom situation and it is by far the easiest and most successful way for me to grasp and fully comprehend the information...sigh...My intrapersonal conflict perpetuates!  (see how clever I am becoming with my new studies!)




6 comments:

  1. My take on stuff like this is: I can do anything for a short period of time. Now, it won't be pretty, and I know I will pay in spades. But sometimes there are not a whole lot of options.

    If this is something you need, want, and are passionate about, I believe you can find a way to do it.

    Just don't forget to nurture yourself at times too- it's very important when you are pushing yourself hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Jazz... I will find a way and I will suck it up and push through each session in turn... (oh yeah and I will pay of course!)

      Delete
  2. I fully agree with Jazz. Before even thinking of giving up, thing about how you can do this smarter rather than harder; definitely take the more comfortable chair. Think of ways you can allow your body to rest on the ferry before getting int he car, take breaks to keep yourself from sitting or standing or moving too long. Give your body some time to assimilate to your new schedule (you are after all giving your brain some time to assimilate to the new mental challenges). Breathe & don't forget that we are all SO PROUD of you for doing this in the first place! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kris - I WILL NOT be giving up that's for sure. I have moved one of my subjects into the last half of the year so that I won't have as many intensive weekends close together. Thanks for your support and for the tips too!

      Delete
  3. You are lucky to have that special someone to m,ake sure you don't starve or rot!
    Everything is a balancing act with chronic disease. Iam very similar to you in that my preferred postion is horizontal and sitting in most chairs for long is painful but also causes more problems. What's the course? I seem to have missed that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Good --- I am more thankful for TLOML than words could ever express (and words are my thing!). I do prefer horizontal and I function best when I stay that way most of the time. I am studying for a Master of Conflict and Dispute Resolution it's really interesting stuff.,

      Delete